* Bear in mind that some of the links in this post are affiliate links and if you go through them to make a purchase, I will earn a commission. Keep in mind that I link these companies and their products because of their quality and not because of the commission I receive from your purchases. The decision is yours, and whether or not you decide to buy something is completely up to you.
Perfect for parties, celebrations, or simply bringing happiness. This amazingly easy vegan funfetti cake recipe is light and fluffy and succulently moist. This cake is the best vegan birthday cake hands down! With a predominantly vanilla flavor profile and covered with decadent vanilla icing, everyone will love these vegan confetti cake recipe!
This Amazingly Easy Vegan Funfetti Cake Recipe is…
- Perfect Vegan Birthday Cake
Vegan Confetti Cake Ingredients
All Purpose Flour- flour is the structure of this recipe, for the lightest results be sure to sift your flour. For even lighter results, use cake flour!
For gluten free eaters: Try out Bobs 1 to 1 all-purpose flour. Replace regular all-purpose flour with bobs red mill 1 to 1 all purpose flour with a 1:1 ratio. It’s the easiest way to make baking recipes gluten free. You can get this product off amazon below!
Sugar- Regular granulated sugar works, but the best kind of sugar for cakes is fine caster sugar. This sugar helps create the light cake texture we all look for.
Baking Soda- Helps with leavening.
Cornstarch- Cornstarch helps create a crumbly cake like texture. With the right amount of moisture this is a beautiful combination.
Non Dairy Milk- I like to use soy milk but you can use any nondairy milk you like. Just make sure its unsweetened.
Apple Cider Vinegar- This ingredient reacts with the baking soda to help with leavening, and it also helps with creating a soft texture.
Vanilla Extract- Gives this vegan birthday cake that festive flavor!
Rainbow Sprinkles- This ingredient put the “confetti” in vegan confetti cake.
Vegan Frosting/Buttercream- Need a recipe for vegan frosting or vegan butter cream? Check mine out here! Amazingly Easy Vegan Icing and Vegan Buttercream Frosting
What is the difference between Funfetti and confetti cake?
Confetti cake is the general term. A confetti cake is a vanilla flavored layer cake made from a white cake batter with rainbow colored sprinkles folded in. The confetti cake is then cooked and layered like a normal layer cake. Traditionally, a confetti cake is then coated with a white, vanilla frosting or buttercream.
The term “funfetti” comes from a Pillsbury cake mix released in 1989 that featured the same white or yellow cake mix with sprinkles folded in. Shortly thereafter, Pillsbury released a funfetti icing. You could probably guess what that is… This was simply their trademark icing with sprinkles folded inside.
So, to answer the question, “what is the difference between Funfetti and confetti cake?”, essentially nothing. The only real difference is Pillsbury has trademarked the term “funfetti”. All in all, the two names are used interchangeably.
What is the flavor of vegan Funfetti cake?
The flavor of this vegan funfetti cake recipe, vegan confetti cake, is vanilla. That is what makes this whole idea very interesting. This iconic cake that everyone loves, is just a basic vanilla layer cake with rainbow sprinkles folded in. The coated with a traditional vanilla frosting or buttercream. This just goes to show that people eat with their eyes first!
What sprinkles are best for baking a vegan Funfetti cake recipe?
This is the million dollar question! There are only two types of sprinkles that are relevant to this topic. “Jimmies” or “nonpareils”. You may not know sprinkles by these names, but I guarantee you have had them before.
Nonpareils are the classic sprinkle. These tiny and round sprinkles are multi-colored and made up of sugar and starch. They are known as 100s and 1000s. These sprinkles tend to get EVERYWHERE, and their color is prone to bleed!
Jimmies are the second sprinkle option. First off, the term Jimmies comes from the northeast region of the United States which is a slang term for “chocolate sprinkles”. Although now days these sprinkles are made from chocolate or sugar. Jimmies are multicolored, rod-shaped candies that are used in a decorative fashion. Unlike their counterpart, the nonpareils, these sprinkles bleed considerably less during the baking process.
So that decides it! When it cones to baking your next vegan birthday cake, vegan funfetti cake, or vegan confetti cake, Use Jimmies!
Is funfetti cake vegan?
Traditionally, a vegan funfetti cake contains eggs. So it is not vegan, but that has never stopped us before.
A vegan funfetti cake or vegan confetti cake is an eggless vanilla cake with sprinkles in the batter. Simple as that. It truly is a simple process!
Vegan Funfetti Cake Tricks and Tips
Measure Ingredients Properly
When following any baking recipe, you never want to scoop with your measuring cup. This packs the flour, and you end up using more than the recipe calls for. Always scoop ingredients like flour into your measuring cups, and then level off.
Room Temperature Ingredients
Bring your ingredients to room temperature to make sure the cake cooks evenly and predictably.
Be sure to use jimmies, rather than other types of sprinkles. Jimmies don’t bleed as much as the other options.
Fold Sprinkles in Last
Be sure to fold your sprinkles in to the batter last minute before baking. This will reduce the amount their colors run; this is called streaking. The best practice is to make the vegan confetti cake batter, fold in the sprinkles, then bake immediately.
Distribute Your Sprinkles
You want to get your sprinkles distributed throughout the batter quickly. Sometimes sprinkles tend stick together when introduced into the batter. To prevent this from happening, coat the sprinkles in a bit of flour and then fold them in.
Use Parchment Paper
To get the best results, use parchment paper at the bottom of your cake pans. Use the pan to trace a perfect size parchment paper then use scissors to cut it out. Place the parchment paper at the bottom of your cake pans then pour the batter in.
When your cake is done, it will tell you! Checking doneness of a cake baffles many novice bakers on the regular! Here are a couple ways to check your cakes doneness
- The sides of the cake will pull away from the cake pan. This is not the end all be all indicator but if you see this, your cake is done!
- The toothpick test. During the baking process, stick a toothpick into the deepest part of the cake (the center) then pull it out. If it comes out clean, then chances are its done. If it comes out with batter on it, then its not done.
- The sure fire way to check is using a thermometer. When a cake is done, the internal temp should read 98°C/210°F. It will carry over if you temp it at 205F.
When you take your cakes out of the oven, let them cool on a wire rack for 10 to 15 minutes. Simply flip the cake onto the wire rack and pull off the exposed parchment paper. To flip it back right side up, place another cooling rack on the exposed side and using both racks flip the cake gently over.
Freeze the Layers
Before decorating your cakes, I recommend freezing the layers. They are much easier to work with that way.
3 6in cake pans
2 mixing bowls
1 rubber spatula
1 stand mixer (optional)
1 serrated knife
1 offset spatula
Easy Vegan Funfetti Cake Recipe
- 2 ¼ Cups Ap Flour
- 1 1/3 Cups Granulated Sugar
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 1/3 tsp Baking Soda
- ½ Cup Canola Oil
- 1 ½ tsp Vanilla Extract
- 4 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Cup Soy Milk
- ½ Cup Rainbow Sprinkles Jimmies
- 1 Recipe Vegan Buttercream Frosting (See Notes)
- Preheat your oven to 350F. Then grease 3 6 inch cake pans and line with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift the all-purpose flour until it is all passed through. Then whisk in the granulated sugar, salt, and baking soda.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients (canola oil, vanilla extract, apple cider vinegar, and soy milk). Whisk thoroughly.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until just combined and smooth. Be careful not to over mix.
- Next fold in the rainbow sprinkles until they are distributed throughout the batter.
- Pour the vegan confetti cake batter into the cake pans. Make sure each cake pan has the same amount of batter. This will ensure even cooking.
- Bake at 350 F for 30- 35 minutes or until the internal temp is around 210 F.
- Once the cakes are done, take out of the oven and transfer to a wire rack. Let cool for 10 minutes at room temperature.
- Once cooled, level the tops of the cakes so they stack nicely. Use a serrated knife to do this.
- Once leveled off, its time to decorate the cake. Using an offset spatula, spread an even layer of frosting over each cake and then sprinkle a few tablespoons of rainbow jimmies over each layer.
- Stack the cake layers. Using a spatula, cover the cake with a thin layer of vegan buttercream frosting. Smooth the frosting with a bench scraper. Then chill the cake in the fridge for 5-10 minutes.
- Add a second layer of frosting covering the cake and smooth using a bench scraper.
- Lastly add any last decorations you want to the cake. Once you are done decorating, then the cake is finished!
Easy Vegan Funfetti Cake Recipe
Yield: 16 servings
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Cooling Time: 30 minutes
Tender, moist, and vibrant in color this easy vegan funfetti cake recipe is perfect for any festivities. Whether it’s a vegan birthday cake or just a simple pick-me-up, everyone loves a vegan confetti cake.
2 ¼ Cups Ap Flour
1 1/3 Cups Granulated Sugar
½ tsp Salt
1 1/3 tsp Baking Soda
½ Cup Canola Oil
1 ½ tsp Vanilla Extract
4 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
1 Cup Soy Milk
½ Cup Rainbow Sprinkles (Jimmies)
1 Recipe Vegan Buttercream Frosting
1. Preheat your oven to 350F. Then grease 3 6 inch cake pans and line with parchment paper.
2. In a large mixing bowl, sift the all-purpose flour until it is all passed through. Then whisk in the granulated sugar, salt, and baking soda.
3. In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients (canola oil, vanilla extract, apple cider vinegar, and soy milk). Whisk thoroughly.
4. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until just combined and smooth. Be careful not to over mix.
5. Next fold in the rainbow sprinkles until they are distributed throughout the batter.
6. Pour the vegan confetti cake batter into the cake pans. Make sure each cake pan has the same amount of batter. This will ensure even cooking.
7. Bake at 350 F for 30- 35 minutes or until the internal temp is around 210 F.
8. Once the cakes are done, take out of the oven and transfer to a wire rack. Let cool for 10 minutes at room temperature.
9. Once cooled, level the tops of the cakes so they stack nicely. Use a serrated knife to do this.
10. Once leveled off, its time to decorate the cake. Using an offset spatula, spread an even layer of frosting over each cake and then sprinkle a few tablespoons of rainbow jimmies over each layer.
11. Stack the cake layers. Using a spatula, cover the cake with a thin layer of vegan buttercream frosting. Smooth the frosting with a bench scraper. Then chill the cake in the fridge for 5-10 minutes.
12. Add a second layer of frosting covering the cake and smooth using a bench scraper.
13. Lastly add any last decorations you want to the cake. Once you are done decorating, then the cake is finished!